- Second spherical of qualifiers performed for 2019 Africa Cup of Nations
- Cameroon will host the match on 7-30 June subsequent yr
- Largely profitable weekend for 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia individuals
FIFA.com rounds up the highlights from Matchday 2 of the qualifying competitors for the 2019 CAF Africa Cup of Nations, which takes place in Cameroon subsequent June. Whereas Africa’s Russia 2018 representatives fared effectively on the entire, there have been additionally one or two surprises, not least for the host nation of subsequent yr’s continental finals.
- Senegal, considered one of Africa’s Russia 2018 qualifiers, had been held to a 2-2 draw by Madagascar. Although 83 locations separate the perimeters within the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Rating (Senegal lie 24th and Madagascar 107th), they’re now tied on 4 factors on the high of Group A.
- It’s all sq. in Group F after two rounds of matches. Overwhelmed on the opening day in June, Ethiopia bounced again with a 1-Zero defeat of Sierra Leone, whereas Kenya noticed off Ghana by the identical scoreline.
- Mauritania continued their sudden emergence with a second consecutive win in Group I. Appointed their coach in 2014, Corentin Martins is now reaping the rewards of his long-term planning, along with his costs transferring a step nearer to qualification after scoring twice in three minutes to beat Burkina Faso 2-Zero.
- Comoros and Crvena Zvezda striker Ben Fardou Mohamed ensured a disappointing debut within the dugout for Cameroon’s new coach Clarence Seedorf and his assistant Patrick Kluivert, scoring his nation’s objective in a shock 1-1 draw. Regardless of the setback, the Indomitable Lions stay high of Group B, forward of Morocco, who bought their first factors on the board with a Three-Zero win over Malawi.
The scorer of a brace in Nigeria’s 2-Zero defeat of Iceland at Russia 2018, Ahmed Musa rounded off a tremendous workforce transfer with a thundering volley to place his aspect forward towards Seychelles. The Tremendous Eagles ran out Three-Zero winners to maneuver again into competition in Group E.
After eight matches and not using a victory, Côte d’Ivoire lastly handle to win towards an African aspect in an official match. Their final three level got here in Three-Zero overcome Gabon within the qualifiers for Russia 2018. However since then, the Elephants have did not beat Gabon, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Zambia, Uganda, Togo and Guinea.
Mohamed Salah refused to let two missed penalties have an effect on his type as Egypt cantered to a 6-Zero win over Niger. The striker, one of many three contenders for The Finest FIFA Males’s Participant award, was excellent as he contributed a brace to his aspect’s large win.